New York Error: Missing NYTPRIN (NY Preparer Registration ID Number)
New York requires paid preparers that prepare New York State tax returns to register each year with the New York Department of Taxation and Finance. In addition to registering, preparers that prepare 10 or more New York State tax returns must pay a $100 registration fee. Certified Public Accountants (CPA), IRS enrolled agents (EA), and attorneys are exempt.
For specific requirements, visit the New York State tax preparer registration website at http://www.tax.ny.gov/tp/reg/tpreg.htm.
To register with New York State
- Open an internet browser and browse to http://www.tax.ny.gov/tp/reg/tpreg.htm
- Click the Register yourself link and follow the directions.
- New York will issue a New York Tax Preparer Identification Number (NYTPRIN) to use for preparing New York State taxes.
Preparer Settings location for default/auto population of NYTPRIN
To indicate an exemption
- From within the NY state portion of the return (Form RET IT-201)
- Check the box on the New York State return in the Paid Preparer Information section to indicate a preparer is exempt from the NYTPRIN requirements.