How to Transfer a Return Between Installations of The Program
The Transfer Return function is used to move a tax return from one install to another install (Example: 2 PCs NOT in the same network).
To transfer the return, some form of portable media is needed (e.g. a flash drive, portable hard drive, etc).
Step 1 - Back up the return
To back up a tax return, follow these steps:
- Open the return to be transferred while logged in as a user with Admin permissions.
- From the top menu, select Return->Transfer Return.
- If the software is the Master User of a multi-office install, the "Transfer Return" window will open. Click No to continue, or click Yes to send the return to the subsite that owns the return.
- In the Label field, type a description for the tax return.
- In the "Transfer Return" window, click the “…” button to open the "Transfer file" window.
- In this window, browse to the location where the return is to be saved.
- In the File Name field, type a name for the transfer file.
- Click Save to return to the "Transfer Returns" window.
- Click OK to create the transfer file for the return. The "Transfer File Contents" window will open displaying the contents of the transfer file.
- Click Close to close this window.
The program will transfer the return to the directory selected.
Step 2 - Restore the return
- On the computer the return is to be transferred to, insert the flash drive and note the drive letter assigned to it by Windows.
- Open the program and log in as a user with administrator rights.
- From the top menu, select Utility->Retrieve Returns. The "Select a File to Retrieve" window will open.
- Browse to the location where the transferred tax return is stored (the drive letter will be the one noted in step 1).
- Select the appropriate transfer file and click Open. The Transfer File Contents dialog will open.
- In this window, select the returns to be transferred.
- Click Retrieve to transfer the selected returns to this computer.
- Verify access to retrieved return.
See related KB 69 Transferring Program Updates