Textlink / Email Failure
In the attempt to send a text message or email a return, one of the the following error message occurs:
’Send Email - Failure! user, password or similar was not accepted and we failed to login
Send Email - Failure! (-67) user, password or similar was not accepted and we failed to login
’Send Email - Failure! Error – Connection failed, timed out, or authentication failed.'
This error occurs if any of the following statements are true:
- The SendText.dll file is damaged, missing or not registered. (Activate Textlink/Email button in Office Setup is applicable only in software prior to TY21)
- The Mail settings are not correct.
- There is no Cell #, Email Address, Text message check mark or Cell Phone Carrier for the taxpayer on the Client Data form.
- The Send to Email function is deselected at the bottom of the 1040 Return Printing Section
- The text message is being sent to more than 100 recipients.
This error has multiple resolutions, the resolutions are listed in order of most common first.
More than one resolution maybe needed to resolve the error.
Resolution 1: Register SendText.dll (Applicable ONLY in Software prior to Tax Year 2021. In addition, Not required for Partners with HOSTED SW)
- Open the program as an administrator (right click on the icon and select “Run as Administrator”).
- Click on Setup>Office Setup.
- Select the TextMsg/Email Tab.
- Click the Activate TextLink Button and wait for the successful responses.
- Click OK when prompted until returned to the TextMsg/Email Tab and attempt to resend.
Resolution 2: Verify the Gmail user name and app generated password.
- On the Setup menu, click Office Setup.
- Click the TextMsg\Email Tab.
- In the Email box, type the desired Gmail email address.
- In the Password box, type the Google App password. (See KB: 304 How to setup 2-Step Verification and Google App Password)
- Click OK and test the function to confirm is working as intended.
Resolution 3: Verify that the required data is on the Client Data form.
- Cell phone number
- Email address
- Check the box if customer agrees to receive text messages
- Cell phone Carrier field has the appropriate data
Resolution 4: Confirm Send to Email is selected in 1040 Return Printing
- On the Setup menu, click Printer Setup.
- Click the 1040 Return Printing Tab.
- Confirm that Send to Email is selected at the bottom of this section.
Resolution 5: Load Unlock Captcha (Must follow steps 1-4 for this to work)
- Close the tax preparation program.
- Open internet browser Log out of Google account & load the following:
- Log back into Google account then log into tax preparation program.
- Test Email or Text function.
- Reboot PC
Send the message to less than 100 recipients at a time
Google text limits the amount of text messages one can send to 100 recipients at a time. If a batch text message is being sent (the same text message to a large group), try to limit the size of the group to less than 100.