Error Message: "Return Locked on Current SSN by Service Bureau"
When a return is transmitted, it is refused/rejected with the following error:
’Return Locked on Current SSN by Service Bureau.’
This refusal is found in a multi-office environment when one of the following is true:
- The Main Site hasn't e-filed the return.
- A sub-site has transferred a return to the Main Site for a second time.
- Main Site needs to e-file the return:
- The return must be rejected/acknowledged by the IRS for the lock to be removed. Once it is rejected/acknowledged, it will unlock automatically with no action needed by the Main Site. This applies to state as well.
- If the Sub-Site has transferred the return to the Main Site:
- The Main Site must unlock the return before the sub-site can resubmit changes made. Please refer to KB Article 317: How to Remove a Service Bureau Lock