Error Message: "Return Locked on Current SSN by Service Bureau" While Transmitting a Return
When a return is transmitted, it is refused with the following error:
’Return Locked on Current SSN by Service Bureau.’
This refusal is found in a multi-office environment when one of the following is true:
- The Master User hasn't e-filed the return.
- A sub-site has transferred a return to the Master User for a second time.
- Master User needs to e-file the return:
- The return must be rejected/acknowledged by the IRS for the lock to be removed. Once it is rejected/acknowledged, it will unlock automatically with no action needed by the Master User. This applies to state as well.
- If the Sub-Site has transferred the return to the Master User:
- The Master User must unlock the return to allow the sub-site to make the necessary changes. For more information on this process, please refer to KB 317 How to Remove a Service Bureau Lock